Shellbelle's Almost Fat-Free Banana Muffins
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup egg whites or egg substitute
- 1 1/2 cups lightly mashed ripe bananas (about 4 large), should be a little chunky
- 1/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice or 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 1/3 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oat bran cereal
- 1/3 cup flaxseed meal
- 2 Tbl. wheat germ
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed kernels (optional, adds about 3 grams of fat per muffin)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray 12-count muffin pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, beat the brown sugar and applesauce. Beat in the egg whites, vanilla, cream and half of the bananas with the sugar mixture for about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Mix in the flour, baking soda, salt, spices and baking powder just until the mixture is moistened. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl to blend all ingredients.
- Fold in the remaining bananas.
- Fill muffin cups to top.
- Sprinkle sunflower seed kernels on muffin tops, if using.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for about 25–30 minutes. Muffins are done when the tops are firm to the touch, a golden brown color and the edges are a darker brown. Time will vary according to muffin-cup size and oven type (I have a convection oven, so the cooking time is faster). Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove and let cool on a rack.
I hope you will try these muffins and the recipes from other Foodie Friday participants over at Michael's fabulous blog Designs By Gollum. Enjoy!